Saturday, January 7, 2012

Crayon Art!





So, as I was exploring Instagram, I came across a photo of melted crayons on a canvas, in the pattern of the full spectrum of a rainbow. It looked beautiful, simple, and original, so the next day, I went to Walmart and purchased crayons, a hot glue gun, and a canvas and got to work. As expected, it was one of the easiest and coolest projects I've ever done!! Here is what I did:
First, I  used a hot glue gun and glued the crayons in the colors I chose, and the pattern I decided to use, to the top of the canvas. 

Once, the glue dried (which was almost immediately), I began blowdrying them in a downward motion toward the bottom of the canvas, and they melted within about 10-15 minutes!!!! They tend to splatter a little, so if you don't feel like scraping wax off of the surrounding area, make sure you put a towel/blanket behind the canvas!


Here is the final product!!!  For the splatters on the bottom, I simply held the crayons in one hand, melted the tips, and "flicked" the melted wax onto the bottom of the canvas.
After showing friends and family how simple it is, I can honestly say almost everyone has tried it!!! It's so simple and fun and unique, and a great project for any age!!!!! It has definitely become a good conversation piece for our living room as well!!!



A few other ideas for crayon art include:
*Using a black canvas with neon or white crayons
*Taping the crayons across the top instead of gluing them, so you can take them off after (looks very cool!)
*Gluing or taping the crayons in a pattern (i.e. wavy line, jagged, etc...)
*Using tape to create a blank space (so when you pull the tape off at the end, the wax did not touch that spot)

I'm sure there are hundreds of other ideas out there for this project =] good luck and thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment